These healthy red velvet cupcakes are kind of incredible, because they’re naturally red from a blend of beets, which also makes them super moist and lightly sweet! You can feel good about indulging in these, because they’re also made with a whole host of nutritious ingredients, like almond flour, coconut flour, and raw cacao. I topped mine with vanilla frosting from Simple Mills (my favorite!) and a few red sprinkles.
You’ll need a handful of ingredients, listed below, as well as a food processor, a large mixing bowl, a wooden spoon, a cupcake tin, and liners. I have not tested for substitutes, so sub at your own risk. I hope you enjoy these delicious gluten free, refined sugar free cupcakes!
Healthy Red Velvet Beet Cupcakes
- 140 grams Love Beets organic cooked beets Beets should be steamed for best flavor and color. I've only tested with 'Love Beets' and can't attest to others! I measured out 140 grams.
- 1/3 cup almond milk or another dairy-free milk
- 1 tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 6 tbsp melted & cooled coconut oil
- 2 eggs let them come to room temperature or run them under some warm water
- 1/3 cup maple syrup
- 2 tsp vanilla
- 2 cups almond flour
- 3 tbsp raw cacao powder I love using Navita's Organics
- 2 tbsp coconut flour
- 2/3 cup coconut sugar
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp salt
- Pre-heat the oven to 350 degrees F and line your cupcake tin with liners.
- Open your package of 'Love Beets' and measure out 140 grams of beets.
- Add beets to your food processor and blend. Add your almond milk and blend again for an applesauce-like consistency.
- Add the rest of your wet ingredients to the food processor - ACV, coconut oil, eggs, maple syrup, and vanilla - and blend until fully incorporated.
- Pour the liquid from the food processor into your large bowl. Add your dry ingredients - almond flour, cacao, coconut flour, coconut sugar, baking powder, cinnamon, and salt - and stir to combine with a wooden spoon or a silicone spatula.
- Evenly distribute the batter into your 12 tins. Tap the tin a few times to even out the batter and pop into the oven.
- Allow the cupcakes to bake for 20-24 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean.
- Remove cupcakes from the oven and transfer to a wire rack once cool enough to handle. Allow cupcakes to cool for 30 minutes before frosting them. I like using Simple Mills vanilla!