This was my first attempt at a cookie recipe on EWWD. I wanted to make a classic chocolate chip cookie but with “better for you” ingredients. I also wanted them to be lower in sugar and egg-less so I could shamelessly eat the cookie dough Made with almond flour, flaxseed, and peanut butter, these chewy (vegan & GF) chocolate chip cookies fit the bill.
They take almost no time to make, and only require one bowl so clean up is quick. My recipe is below. Let me know what you think if you make them!
Vegan Chewy Chocolate Chip Cookies
- 1 flax egg: 1 tbsp flax + 3 tbsp warm water Mix together and let sit in the fridge for 15 minutes until the flax "gels" into a thick goop
- 1/4 cup creamy NATURAL peanut butter Only ingredients should be peanuts & salt!
- 1/2 cup coconut sugar
- 2 tbsp maple syrup
- 1/4 cup avocado oil
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 cups almond flour
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp salt + flaky sea salt to top
- 1/2 cup chocolate chips I used Lily's Sweets to keep this recipe vegan and low sugar!
- Make your flax egg. See ingredients above.
- In a large bowl, mix the egg, pb, maple syrup, coconut sugar, avocado oil, and vanilla together with a silicone or rubber spatula.
- Add in almond flour, baking powder, and salt. Stir to combine. It's going to be a thick dough that you have to work and I find that a spatula really works best here!
- Fold in chocolate chips. Again, use a little muscle!
- Stick in the fridge for 15 - 20 minutes to chill the dough. This is important. Clean up a bit!
- Pre-heat oven to 350 degrees and line baking sheet with parchment.
- Use a cookie scoop to make dough into ~15 balls. Flatten them slightly with the back of your hand. You can top with a few extra chocolate chips and sprinkle with flaky sea salt.
- Stick in the oven for 13-16 mins (give or take depending on your oven). Clean up some more. Let the cookies cool (this is KEY) so they can firm up and set. I recommend cooling for 10 minutes.
- Note: because of the ingredients used, these cookies taste best stored in an air-tight container on the counter for 2-3 days and then in the fridge for 2-3 days thereafter. They also freeze really well and can easily be defrosted!